Please note the all the therapists at Bridges and Pathways Counseling Services Inc. are Independent Contractors.
Meet the Staff at Forest Lake
- Nancy Hertz
- Beth Jones
- Dr. Sue Hoisington
- Paul Mladnick
- Breanna Herbst
- Dr. Janaka Hanvey
- Dr. Trey Jensen
- Addy Kovar
- Dr. Jorja Jamison
Nancy made a mid-life career change to become a therapist after working as a licensed Child Care Provider for 10 years and working with profoundly handicapped children for over 10 years.
Nancy has a passion for working with survivors of domestic abuse. She has extensive training in Narrative Therapy, including attending workshops by Michael White and David Epson.
Nancy started Bridges and Pathways Counseling Services Inc. in 2005.
- Past member of the Children's Mental Health Task force
- Past member of the Washington county Mental Health Collaborative
- Past member of the Domestic Abuse Task force through the Minnesota Collation for Battered Women and Forest Lake Area Partnership for Families
- Master's degree in Counseling Psychology from St. Mary's University
- Post Master's Certificate in Marriage and Family Therapy from St. Mary's University
- Teaching or Specified Training's
- Nancy has been a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist since 2002.
- Nancy Hertz is currently not taking new clients.
Beth provides a counseling style that creates and builds positive connections. Her approach is primarily cognitive-behavioral therapy with an incorporation of client-centered therapy. She helps participants to learn tools to tear down walls of separation and will be inspired to live in an environment of acceptance, love and respect. Beth commits to serving individuals, couples and families with the focus placed on their strengths, development and of their life circumstances while offering a safe environment that encourages healing, growth and new possibilities. Clients will find the self-determination while focusing on health, wellness, empowerment, education, and healing in counseling services. Individuals and family members gain tools and resources that aid in increasing communication skills and gaining hope for their future. Her approach focuses on identifying negative/unrealistic thoughts, which in turn changes the individual's feelings and behaviors. Beth works with Individuals, couples, adolescence and children.
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology, Northwestern College, Roseville, MN
- Masters Degree in Human Development with specialized focus on Marriage and Family Therapy, St. Mary's University, Minnesota
- Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT)
- Certified Family Mediation Training, Hamline University Law and Graduate School, St. Paul, MN
- Certified Parenting Ti
Dr. Sue Hoisington
Phone: 651-982-4792Ext. 2
Sue’s expertise is in working with adult clients that struggle with depression, anxiety, trauma and eating disorders. Much of her experience is working with clients with co-occurring mental health and addiction issues. She is competent in diagnostic assessment as well as therapy. She has experience in the following evidence based practices: Motivational Interviewing, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and Twelve Step Facilitation.
Sue has been with Bridges and Pathways for a little over a year. She lives in Forest Lake and appreciates being able to be present in the community and to be able to give back to the community. She enjoys the agency feeling like a private practice plus the benefit of working next to some very talented colleagues! At the same time she also works full time at People Incorporated in Minneapolis.
She has been an adjunct faculty at the Hazelden Graduate School of Addiction Studies. I have presented across the US on co-occurring disorders.
- Undergraduate in Psychology, College of St. Teresa in Winona, MN
- Masters in Clinical Psychology, University of Wisconsin, Oshkosh
- Doctorate in Counseling Psychology, University of St. Thomas, St. Paul, MN
- MN Psychological Association
- Member of the Council for the National Register of Health Service Providers in Psychology
- Past member of the American Psychological Association
- Licensed in the State of Minnesota as a Psychologist
Paul has been working in the counseling field for over twenty-five years, mostly helping people with alcohol and drug addiction. Paul received his chemical dependency counselor training at the University of Minnesota . Paul attended the Alfred Alder Graduate School to complete the coursework needed to qualify for the Minnesota license in Marriage and Family Therapy.
He started counseling at Bridges and Pathways Counseling Services in 2006 shortly after it had started as a company. Paul enjoys working with adults and adolescents who want help with substance abuse, compulsive gambling, anger management or relationship conflicts. He also works with couples who want help with communication issues, problems related to trust and coping with addictions. He has received specialized training in helping people with compulsive gambling and family members of problem gamblers.
Paul uses a combination of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and Alderian Therapy as his primary approaches to counseling. He is a believer in motivational interviewing as a counseling technique to empower his clients. He believes in the wisdom of the Twelve Steps of AA, NA, and GA as a helpful adjunct to treatment for anyone with addiction and the Twelve Steps of Alanon for family and friends.
- Bachelor of Science , University of Minnesota
- Master of Science in Guidance and Counseling, University of Wisconsin, River Falls
- On the board and faculty of the National Rural Institute on Alcohol and Drug Abuse
- Licensed in Alcohol Drug Counseling (LADC)
- Licensed in Marriage and Family Therapy (LMFT)
- Certified Counselor through the International Gambling Counselor Certification Board
- State approved Gambling Treatment Provider for the State of MN
Phone: 651-982-4792 Ext. 4 Email: [email protected]
Breanna's therapy style is focussed on building trusting and positive connections with clients. She utilizes multiple therapy techniques including: Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Person-centered, Psychodymanic, Family Systems, Diaglectical Behavioral Therapy, Academic skills training, and Communication skills training. She has experience working with individuals 8 years of age and up and has spent a good portion of her career working with the teenage and emerging adult population.
Areas of experience include treating-
- Mood Disorders
- Adjustment Disorders
- Family Changes
- Marital issues>
- Behavioral problems
- Academic difficulties
- College Transistion issues
- Communication issues
- Self Injurous behavior
- Self esteem issues>
- Women's issues
- School-based therapy
- Adolescent/Teen issues
License: Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor (LPCC)- MN Board of Behavioral Health and Therapy
Previous- Licensed School Counselor
Education: Master of Science Degree in Counseling Psychology, St. Cloud State University
Bachelor of Arts Degree in Communication Studies, Minor in Human Relations, St. Cloud State University
Janaka’s experience includes working with adults, adolescents, and couples. Dr. Hanvey is experienced at both assessing and treating depression, attention difficulties, anxiety, stress, behavioral problems, communication issues, grief, trauma, low self-esteem, gambling, and men’s anger issues. He is also trained in regression hypnosis.
The most important component of Janaka's therapy is creating an atmosphere where clients feel supported and valued. Janaka uses a style of therapy that is self-empowering and non-judgmental. His approach utilizes positive psychology principles combined with mindfulness strategies. Helping clients to discover their own answers is the main goal of therapy.
Janaka has lived and worked in the Chisago Lakes area since 1994. He enjoys the community and raised both of his children in this area. He has worked in both the mental health field and chemical dependency field.
- Doctorate Degree in Clinical Psychology from Saybrook University
- Master’s Degree in Counseling Psychology from Winona State University
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Humanities from University of Minnesota
- Janaka has been a Licensed Psychologist in the State of Minnesota
Dr. Trey Jensen
Phone: 651-982-4792 Ext. 7 Email: [email protected]
Dr. Jensen has been working in the mental health field since 2006 with extensive experience in mental health crisis de-escalation with adults and outpatient psychotherapy working with clients ages 6+, families, and couples. He has experience working with clients to address depression, anxiety, work/vocational and school performance issues, bullying, anger problems, family/spouse conflict, diagnostic assessments, as well as more severe psychopathology. Dr. Jensen employs an eclectic approach to therapy, using both psychodynamic and cognitive-behavioral principles. He promotes a welcoming and safe environment for clients and values the client's experiences and self-expertise.
Dr. Jensen also conducts psychological evaluations that use cognitive and personality testing for youth and adults. He provides anger assessments, ADHD assessments, intellectual functioning assessments, and comprehensive evaluations.
- PhD in Clinical Psychology from Walden University
- Master of Arts in Clinical Psychology from Minnesota School of Professional Psychology at Argosy University
- Bachelor of Arts in Psychology from Winona State University
Addy's therapy style is focused on fostering a positive environment and building trust. Her approach is primarily cognitive-behavioral therapy with a provision of short term, solution-focused therapy, as well as long term supportive therapy. Addy has experience in providing individual therapy for adults, adolescents and children (5+) including play therapy for younger children. Her experience also includes providing senior mental health and support for their extended families and caregivers, adolescent issues, stress management, grief and loss, depression, family and parenting issues. Furthermore, Addy assists clients in maximizing the utilization of community resources in order to achieve their optimal level of wellness.
- Bachelor of Arts degree in Sociology
- Minor in Native American Rural Social Work, UW-Stevens Point
- Masters degree in Social Work, Family Practice Concentration, Augsburg College
- Licensed Independent Clinical Social Worker (LICSW)
Dr. Jorja Jamison
Phone: 651-982-4792 Ext. 0
Sometimes we find ourselves on our life’s map in an area with which we are unfamiliar. It may be new territory we are exploring, or a realization that a well-worn path no longer gets us where we are trying to go. We need another person to help navigate our way. Therapy can be a place where we partner with someone and explore alternative routes. First and foremost Jorja strives to provide a safe, welcome, and inviting atmosphere where you will feel comfortable exploring your life and the issues for which you are seeking help. Jorja believes you are the expert in your life; her goal is to join you, help you harness your many strengths, and learn additional ways to approach situations. By putting new tools in your tool kit, Jorja seeks to help you become better equipped to navigate your map on your own. She specializes in working with individuals and couples presenting with issues surrounding depression, anxiety, alcohol and drug use, life transitions, relationships, and finding your authentic self. She welcomes individuals from diverse backgrounds, including race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, socioeconomic status, age, and physical ability.
- Master of Arts, Latin Language and Literature, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Master of Science, Educational Psychology, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- PhD, Counseling Psychology, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Licensed Psychologist (LP) in Minnesota
- American Counseling Association